But with dangerous roads, plenty of alcohol, unfamiliar routes and many tired travellers, is that a risk you really want to take? Spare five minutes to check each of these things, and you can sit back, relax, and enjoy your Christmas with peace of mind knowing that you and your family are covered.
Have you got a life insurance policy? If so then well done – you’ve taken the first step towards providing for your family should something happen to you.
If not, then the festive period is a good time to consider your life insurance needs. It’s a sad reality that the death toll rises over the December period, and leaving your loved ones without adequate financial support would make their lives without you even harder than they need to be. If you’re considering life insurance, you can get a quick quote here.
If you have already taken out your policy, here are a few things to be sure of:
- Are all the beneficiaries named? If you got married or had a child recently, for instance, you may want to amend your beneficiaries to reflect this.
- Does at least one of your beneficiaries (preferably one who isn’t travelling with you) know about your policy? If something happens to you, it’s crucial that your family or loved ones can claim from your policy with as little of a delay as possible. They should know where your important documents are and who to claim from.
- Is your policy active? Make sure you haven’t missed any premium payments, because this could result in your policy being cancelled
- Before you go, make sure your last Will and Testament are updated with any new beneficiaries or heirs, check that all your assets are covered, and make any changes if necessary.
It’s also important to make sure that your car insurance is in place before driving the long distances that holidays often require! The roads are particularly dangerous at this time of year and accidents are on the increase, so making sure that you have cover in place for any bumps or something more major is key to having a worry-free holiday.
While we at MiWayLife don’t offer car insurance, we still believe in it’s value! Here are some things to keep in mind when it comes to car insurance for the festive period
- Check whether you have cover for other drivers, especially if you’ll be taking turns in the driver’s seat during long trips (which you should be!)
- Ensure that your tyres have enough tread left and that all maintenance is up to date – not adhering to these little rules can mean that a claim may not be paid out
- Again, check that your cover is active and premiums are paid
- See whether your policy offers extras such as breakdown assistance, towing and similar. Take note of the numbers for these services in case something happens while you’re in a remote spot